Undergraduate Financial Aid


To apply for financial aid for undergraduate or graduate education, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Filing the FAFSA

The Federal School Code for Brown University is 003401.

The FAFSA is required to apply for federal and state aid, and students can file it at fafsa.gov. Financial aid is based on IRS tax returns from two years prior (known as Prior-Prior Year) and students may be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer some tax information directly from the IRS to the FAFSA.


Tax Year to Use on the FAFSA

Academic Year Taxes Used
2021-2022 2019
2022-2023 2020
2023-2024 2021
2024-2025 2022

When will I be notified of my financial aid eligibility?

Incoming students who apply for aid will be notified of their eligibility (or of any documents needed to determine eligibility) at the time of their admission decision. Current students who apply for aid by our deadline will typically receive a financial aid award in June.

Financial Aid Shopping Sheet

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a standardized federal award notice designed to simplify the financial aid information for prospective U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have applied to multiple institutions. The Shopping Sheet provides families with a tool to compare the Net Cost (total cost minus grants and scholarships) at each institution.  

 To view and print the Federal Shopping Sheet:

  1. Sign in to Banner Self-Service
  2. Select the Financial Aid Tab
  3. Select Undergraduate Students
  4. Select Current Award Information*
  5. Select the 2023-24 Aid Year
  6. Click on the link at the bottom of the page to view and/or print the Federal Shopping Sheet 

*You must complete a review of the electronic award and select "Finished" on the last page of Banner Self-Service in order to view the award summary and the Federal Shopping Sheet link.

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance with any questions about the above information or about the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet.