Undergraduate Financial Aid

Financial Aid for Study Away & Study Abroad

Find details about how study away or study abroad may affect financial aid, and learn how to prepare.

Information regarding Study Abroad Programs can be found on the Study Abroad Advising website.    

Brown students may apply to study away from Brown, either abroad or away at another U.S. institution, and to transfer their coursework back to Brown. Programs may be summer, fall, spring or full academic year. Rules regarding transfer credit are complex; students must obtain pre-approval for the institution at which they wish to study as well as for the courses they wish to take. 

Study Abroad

Students may explore study abroad options by attending the study abroad fair in the fall, going to an information session in the Study Abroad Advising or browsing the Study Abroad Advising web resources. Financial aid information and requirements:

Study Abroad during the academic year Summer Study Abroad

Study Away

With the appropriate permissions, Brown students are allowed to study and earn credit at other colleges and universities as part of their degree. U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States may petition to study at a four-year college or university in the U.S. and students studying on F-1 visas may petition to study at a four-year institution in their home countries. Students must obtain pre-approval in order to transfer course credit back to Brown. Financial aid information and requirements:

Study Away during the academic year Summer Study Away