Not all students will need or wish to purchase a computer when coming to Brown; therefore, the cost is not included in your estimated Cost of Attendance
If you wish to purchase a computer, your Cost of Attendance may be increased to include the expense of a reasonably priced, educationally-related computer.
- The computer and related accessories must be considered educationally relevant for the academic period the allowance would be applied to and must be reasonable in cost in order to be covered. For example, a digital camera, gaming software, etc would not be covered. A printer, carrying case and service protection plan are examples of allowable expenses. Any questions regarding what would be considered a reasonable expense for a computer and/or add-ons should be directed to a Financial Aid Counselor prior to purchase.
The following resources may be used to cover this expense:
1. Borrow a student loan.
- Purchase the computer* and submit your computer receipt to the Office of Financial Aid and we will assist you in securing a loan to cover the cost.
- After the loan is added to your financial aid package, it is then applied to your student billing account.
- If the balance on your account is $0 before the loan is added, request a refund of the loan funds through Student Financial Service to reimburse yourself for the computer purchase.
2. If you received outside scholarships or resources that exceed the student effort level expected within your financial aid offer and as a result your University Scholarship has been reduced, you may have the option of using a portion of your outside scholarship(s) as an allowance towards the one-time purchase of a computer.
- Contact the OFA to be sure this funding is applicable to you and to confirm the amount available for the purchase. Once that is established,
- Purchase the computer* and submit your computer receipt to the Office of Financial Aid. Your package will be adjusted to reflect the expense.
- After the funding is added to your financial aid package, it is then applied to your student billing account.
- If the balance on your account is $0 before the funding is added, request a refund of the funds through Student Financial Services as a reimbursement for the computer purchase expense.
*If you do not have funds to pay for the computer up-front, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options.